Amd5.3 ported to IRIX 3.3.1

Scott R. Presnell srp at babar.mmwb.ucsf.edu
Wed Sep 26 02:02:55 AEST 1990

I had mentioned some time ago that I was trying to port amd (an alternative
automount daemon) to IRIX.  Some people had asked how that was going, I
don't have their addresses anymore.  Well, it's done, I think, for now.
I've only tried this on a 4D/20G running IRIX 3.3.1.

The difference was: 1) using amd5.3-alpha (from usc.edu in pub/amd).
and that my knowledge of irix has increased.

As a plug for amd - 5.3alpha has some pretty cool new features (new map
types) in it.  It's got alot to offer for special, varied mount situations.
Though for general purpose, SGI's port of automount seems just fine.

So if you want to, get the diffs from cgl.ucsf.edu (128.218.14.2) in
upload/amd5.3a.irix.shar.

I'm still experimenting with the possible mount configurations at our site,
and I have not confirmed the operation of all the options.  Drop me a line
if you use it and find out something interesting. These diffs are also
going to the original author.

N.B.: Direct maps *DO NOT WORK!!* *DON'T* try them unless you want to lock
up your file system.  This also seems to be true for the IRIX 3.3
automount.  It doesn't seem to be an error in the programs, the pseudo
mounts seem to be set up correctly.  I'm curious: can anyone from SGI
comment on the problem?

	Thanks, and Good luck.

	- Scott Presnell (srp at cgl.ucsf.edu)

--
Scott Presnell				        +1 (415) 476-9890
Pharm. Chem., S-926				Internet: srp at cgl.ucsf.edu
University of California			UUCP: ...ucbvax!ucsfcgl!srp
San Francisco, CA. 94143-0446			Bitnet: srp at ucsfcgl.bitnet