Perl 3.0.44 won't work?

Ian Graham igraham at SMAUG.PHYSICS.MCGILL.CA
Mon Feb 11 10:25:49 AEST 1991

Hi all,

I am trying to compile and Run perl, Version 3.0 - Patchlevel 44,
and am having little success. I compiled it once, with several compiler
complaints about illegal pointer combinations with signal() calls,
but it got through anyway.  However, it then refused to do the tests,
either via 'make test', or 'cd t; TEST'.  It just said

   'FAILED--not tests were run for some reason.'

Which is not so illuminatng.  So I recompiled, following some
recommendations I saw on the net for Patchlevel 41: after
running Configure, I edited config.sh  to

      -  disabled  vfork, memcmp and volatile
      -  added -D_BSD_COMPAT to all cflags defines

I also added the string '-Olimit 2806' to the optimization define,
to allow optimization of some of the larger modules.

Now it compiles without complaint. However, it still will NOT
allow me to 'make test' or 'cd test; TEST'.  Now, If I try and
run the test routines individually all is fine until the 'op.s' test
-- here I get to 'ok 39' whereupon perl promptly crashes, after
having grown to take over all possible virtual memory (65696 pages!!).
Yikes!

So, the questions are:

   1)  Why won't 'make test' or 'TEST' work?  I have tried doing these both
       from the tcsh and csh.
   2)  Why does it crash on op.s?
   3)  Has anyone else managed to get perl running, and if so how do
       I go about doing the same?

I am running IRIX3.3.1 on a 4D/25.

Thanks,

Ian