Cheap Output

Bill Lasher W0L at psuvm.psu.edu
Sat Feb 2 07:12:11 AEST 1991

Several weeks ago there was a posting requesting information about cheap ways
of getting hardcopy from an SGI machine.  I posted a note saying that we were
investigating Freedom of Press, and would update when we got it working.  This
is the update.

Freedom of Press is a Postscript interpreter that will allow Postscript output
to just about any printer, including the HP line.  Image files can be printed
by converting them to Postscript using tops (or tocolps for color).  FoP can
be installed so it is an integral part of lp, so it's use becomes transparent
to the user.  It is reasonably priced, and so far works as advertised.

The quality of the output is, of course, limited by the printer.  Since we
are serving a student environment, cost is an overriding concern.  We can't
afford $20,000 printers and prints that run several dollars a shot.  Using FoP
on the HP Paintjet produces quite satisfactory graphics - not photo quality by
any means, but certainly good enough for student use or for presentation.  I
would recommend this for anyone who has a similar need.

Bill

P.S. - I do not work for FoP or any other for-profit organization.