NCSA XImage questions

David R. Blythe drb at eecg.toronto.edu
Sat Feb 2 07:48:00 AEST 1991

In article <MCCALPIN.91Feb1141106 at pereland.cms.udel.edu> mccalpin at perelandra.cms.udel.edu (John D. McCalpin) writes:
>I just got the latest version of the NCSA XImage binary off of
>ftp.ncsa.uiuc.edu.  It was apparently compiled under 3.3.1, so it
>should work with my system.
>
>I have two questions for anyone who uses this system:
>
>(1) The animate option always dumps core when I try to use a wildcard
>file specification.  Is there some way around this?

The wildname expansion code was garbage.  I sent in a bug fix to ncsa
but have my doubts if it was used for anything other than lining
for /dev/null.  Context diffs are at the end of this article if you
feel like recompiling the source.  Its a lousy program for an sgi
machine since it doesn't exploit any of the more advanced parts of the
geometry engine (its adequate for your basic 8 bit X workstation).

>(2) The palette option allows me to fiddle with the RGB values of the
>X color table, but does not actually change the colors!  Is there some
>option that I need to employ on the X server to make the color table
>modifiable?

I'm not sure what the problem is, but you might find yourself better off
using a straight sgi colormap editor running separately from ximage.
Tim Hall's is reasonable for this (ftp from swedishchef.lerc.nasa.gov its
called Ctedit).

>Thanks for any help....
>--
>John D. McCalpin			mccalpin at perelandra.cms.udel.edu
>Assistant Professor			mccalpin at brahms.udel.edu
>College of Marine Studies, U. Del.	J.MCCALPIN/OMNET

	david blythe
	ontario centre for large scale computation
	drb at clsc.utoronto.ca
------------------------------- cut here ---------------------------------

diffs for ximage/glob.c

RCS file: RCS/glob.c,v
retrieving revision 1.1
diff -c -r1.1 glob.c
*** /tmp/,RCSt1a01169	Tue Dec 11 15:32:19 1990
--- glob.c	Tue Dec 11 15:23:24 1990
***************
*** 102,118 ****
          while ((fileEntry = readdir(newdirFD))&& (numFiles < MAXENTRY)) {
  		/* no files that start with a '.' */
  		if (fileEntry->d_name[0] != '.') {
- 			numFiles++;
  			if (!strncmp(fileEntry->d_name,key,astPos)) {
  				*tmpargv = MALLOC(strlen(fileEntry->d_name)+1);
  				strcpy(*tmpargv,fileEntry->d_name);
  				tmpargv++;
  				}
                  	}
  		}
          closedir(newdirFD);

! 	BubbleSort(nargv,*nargc);

  	*rargv = nargv;
  	return(1);
--- 102,119 ----
          while ((fileEntry = readdir(newdirFD))&& (numFiles < MAXENTRY)) {
  		/* no files that start with a '.' */
  		if (fileEntry->d_name[0] != '.') {
  			if (!strncmp(fileEntry->d_name,key,astPos)) {
  				*tmpargv = MALLOC(strlen(fileEntry->d_name)+1);
  				strcpy(*tmpargv,fileEntry->d_name);
  				tmpargv++;
+ 				numFiles++;
  				}