Problems with optimization

Micah Altman micah at flobb4.csd.sgi.com
Sat Feb 9 08:58:10 AEST 1991

In <1991Feb8.140148.9947 at vaxa.strath.ac.uk> cbas25 at vaxa.strath.ac.uk writes:

>I have been trying to compile a rather large (Fortran) program
>using the -O3 directive to do all optimizations.  Under these
>conditions the compilation fails with the error message:-

>usplit: Error: cannot read/write ucodes from/to /tmp/ctmlua01046//
>               tmp/ctmsa01046: Error 0

>(the message appears all on one line), together with the message:-

>                       dks0dls0 out of space.

This means that you are running out of space on /dev/root for the
tmp files created during the compilation/optimization process.

>When compiled without optimization there are no errors, and the
>compiled program works normally.

The -O3 optimization level creates larger temporary files than
-O2 optimization. ( At O3 there are more stages of optimization,
more temp files are created, code is run through different optimizer
programs, etc, etc, etc,
see the Iris-4D Series Compiler Guide for more info ).

>Can anybody help??      What am I doing wrong??   Any advice will

Make more space on /dev/root? Change the partition size? Create a symbolic
link between /tmp and /usr/tmp?
--
	"Entia non sunt multiplicanda sine necessitate." - William of Ockham

	Micah Altman				micah at csd.sgi.com
	"Computational Juggler"			Phone (415) 335-1866