Problems with optimization

Trevor Paquette paquette at fsd.cpsc.ucalgary.ca
Sat Feb 9 08:47:02 AEST 1991

In article <1991Feb8.140148.9947 at vaxa.strath.ac.uk> cbas25 at vaxa.strath.ac.uk writes:

>I have been trying to compile a rather large (Fortran) program
>using the -O3 directive to do all optimizations.  Under these
>conditions the compilation fails with the error message:-
>
>usplit: Error: cannot read/write ucodes from/to /tmp/ctmlua01046//
>               tmp/ctmsa01046: Error 0
>
>(the message appears all on one line), together with the message:-
>
>                       dks0dls0 out of space.

 This is simple.. your root partition is not big enough. When compiling
files the linker uses /tmp as a temp storage location for sundry
files needed in compiling.
  You can do a coule of things here:
     1) increase the size of your root parition. Don't try this unless you
        know what you are doing
     2) make /tmp a link to /usr/tmp. (Or to a tmp dir on a partition with more
        space
     3) There should be a compiler directive (can't remember which one it is)
        to use a different directory for the tmp storage location

  Trev