GPIB device (Tape) driver (or source examples)

Dave Olson olson at anchor.esd.sgi.com
Sat Feb 2 04:51:21 AEST 1991

In <1991Feb01.045229.5835 at eecs.wsu.edu> rnelson at eecs.wsu.edu (Roger Nelson - Grad Student) writes:

| -------
|
| Does anyone have a GPIB device driver for IRIX (on a 4D/60T)?
|
| Specifically we have a HP 9-track HPIB tape drive which we would like
| to use to load GIS map data.  It would be nice if we could use this
| drive without having to set up our old HP1000 system.
|
| I might be able to write a driver if I can find suitible documentation
| or example source code.

SGI sells a GPIB board made by National Instruments (GPIB - 1014), and a
driver to go with it.  The driver is a generic gpib driver, and part of
the product is an interface library.  It should be fairly straightforward
to write a program that accesses the tape drive with this approach (I
would suspect a few days should be enough for basic functionality).

Of course, this may not be the cheapest possible solution :)

National is also selling a SCSI to GPIB interface box,
and we have Geometry Partners who have used the generic scsi driver (ds)
to talk to GPIB devices such as scanners with it.  I have no idea what
performace or price is like, or how hard it is to program it.
--

	Dave Olson