RARP Server for SGI

Patrick Herlihy patrick at theseus.ccsd.uts.edu.au
Wed Feb 20 09:16:26 AEST 1991

marinell at Iris1.UCIS.Dal.Ca (Kevin Marinelli) writes:

>   After reading your message I tried to find the rarp server.  The man
>page exists. It says that there should be a file /usr/etc/rarpd. This file
>does not exist!. My system is running IRIX 3.3.1 and has all of the networking
>software loaded.  What gives?

>   Is the software "missing" from the release, or has it been tucked away
>in some hidden little niche of the release or release tape?

>Kevin Marinelli
>Academic Computing Services
>Dalhousie University

This is exactly the same problem we had!  We were told by SGI here in Sydney
that /usr/etc/rarpd should have been on the 3.3.1 update tape.

I suspect it must be supplied with diskless machines ... or perhaps even
then SGI would assume that you would use bootp instead of rarp.
--
 _--_|\   Patrick John Herlihy,                        patrick at ccsd.uts.EDU.AU
/      \  Computing & Communications Services Division,     Ph: +61 2 413 8162