How to format man pages??

Peter S. Shenkin shenkin at cunixf.cc.columbia.edu
Tue Feb 12 10:07:48 AEST 1991

In article <1991Feb11.212702.12838 at odin.corp.sgi.com> davidp at krill.corp.sgi.com (David Pike) writes:
>   Let's say you have an unformatted man page foo.1.  When you type
>man
>foo, it lists the man page unformatted.  When you type nroff -man
>foo.1, it
>properly formats the page.  What you need to do, is something to the
>likes of nroff -man foo.1 > foo.2.   The foo.2 file will properly
>display
>in man.  Now you can compress or pack it, if you would like.

No, no!  Anything in /usr/catman/local/man[0-9] is SUPPOSED to be nroff
source, and the man command is supposed to know enough to run nroff on it
when sending it to the screen.  At least this is true according to the
3.2.1 docs, and I have found it to work this way in practice.  (4d25tg)

	-P.
Peter S. Shenkin, Department of Chemistry, Barnard College, New York, NY  10027
(212)854-1418  shenkin at cunixf.cc.columbia.edu(Internet)  shenkin at cunixf(Bitnet)
***"In scenic New York... where the third world is only a subway ride away."***