Parallel Programming

David B.Anderson davea at quasar.wpd.sgi.com
Fri Feb 1 06:06:14 AEST 1991

In article <9101311410.AA02066@> lmo at lsr-vax.UUCP ("Lance M. Optican - LMO") writes:

>	Following TFM, I diligently incluided the "-align16" flag
>in my compilations.  Now I see info-iris mail saying you don't need
>this flag.
>
>	What is the truth?!

The truth is that there was a miscommunication between the compiler group
and the people preparing the manual:

	Parallel Programming on Silicon Graphics Computer Systems
	007-0770-010

	at:
	Understanding the Basics of Parallel Programming
	page 2-9,
	2.2.2 Compiler Flags for Multi-Thread Code

The section is wrong. There is no applicable compiler flag. Please do not
use -align16!

Dan Karron (karron at nyu.edu) noticed that there was something wrong and
brought it to our attention December 26, 1990.  Thanks Dan!

We are sorry about this mistake.

Regards,
[ David B. Anderson  Silicon Graphics  (415)335-1548  davea at sgi.com ]
[``What can go wrong?''                           --Calvin to Hobbes]