hardcopy output info wanted

William Krauss tttron at escher.lerc.nasa.gov
Wed Feb 6 03:33:40 AEST 1991

In article <9101301716.AA00832 at aero4.larc.nasa.gov> blbates at AERO4.LARC.NASA.GOV ("Brent L. Bates AAD/TAB MS361 x42854") writes:

>    The Kodak unit I saw was model XL 7700 Digital Continuous Tone Printer.
>I just got a flier from Kodak on it the other day, looks impressive...

It is VERY impressive.

>     They sent a sample copy, looks like a photo...

It probably LOOKED like a photo (but was a print nonetheless).
My colleagues inform me (I didn't do the purchase) that the approximate
cost was $20k (ballpark) - that's Government rate. The cost per paper color
print is a bit less than $4, for transparencies is about $4.50. The price
is quite reasonable for the qualtiy output. It also prints a number of
image formats inlcuding: rgb, tiff, WHIP, Sun raster, Mimps, Alias, Pixar,
X window dump, Targa, Stardent, and RAW binary (probably forgot a few).

Anyway, we've used it here at Lewis and the most people are generally
astounded at the quality.

It's worth investigating.

There you have it.