ethernet I/O from C?

Andrew Cherenson arc at kaibab.wpd.sgi.com
Wed Feb 6 09:11:11 AEST 1991

In article <3309 at lamont.ldgo.columbia.edu> dale at lamont.ldgo.columbia.edu (dale chayes) writes:
>In article <1991Jan29.155452.26139 at ux1.cso.uiuc.edu>, jsivier at ux1.cso.uiuc.edu (Jonathon Sivier ) writes:
>>
>>    Does anyone have any tips/hints/guides on how I can communicate across
>> the ethernet from within a program written in C on an IRIS?
>
>(I have deleted the redundant questions....)
>
>First of all, have a look in the TCP/IP Users Guide from SGI (my version
>is 2.1) where there is a reasonable (but far from complete/perfect)
>discussion of network transfers including program to program options.
>While I know from first hand experience that the examples having to
>do with UDP broadcasts are neither complete nor correct, they were
>sufficient (when coupled with some thought and experimentation) for
>me to get my application to work.

As of IRIX 3.3, the Network Communications Guide replaced the TCP/IP
User's Guide. The programming examples have been updated.
Some sample TCP and UDP programs are on-line if you've installed
the 4Dgifts stuff from the DEV (development) tape. Look in the
/usr/people/4Dgifts/examples/network directory.