Iris 3D series workstation for (quick) sale!

Steve Jones steve at yoyodyne.mit.edu
Tue Feb 5 12:20:51 AEST 1991

Greetings,

        I have a Silicon Graphics Iris 3130 that I must sell. This
platform is not suited for the kind of work I'll be doing for the
next year, and as I have located appropriate hardware I need to free
up the money I sunk into this beast. I have oustanding debt on this
machine that forces me to set the asking price at $2000. Horsetrading,
or anything else leading to a sale, is welcome.

        The system sports a 16 MHz 68020 CPU with SGI's Weitek based
floating point accelerator, 12 MBytes of RAM, Ethernet, four serial
ports, ESDI/QIC disk/tape/floppy controller, the Geometry Engine
boardset, and eight bitplane boards. All this is in a completely  in-
destructible steel pedestal with many fans and a hefty power supply.
There's a bunch of random software installed on the two 125 MB disks,
but only the OS (v3.5) is proprietary. Details of the components
follow.

        There is one minor complication. While it comes with a nice 19"
color Hitachi monitor, this monitor suddenly stopped working two
months back. I think the problem is easily corrected but I was only
using it for the (wonderful) flight simulator at that point. I can see
about having it repaired locally.

        I have to move this machine in order to get the proper
hardware for a project starting up this summer. If you want to get
your hands on some great graphics hardware without putting up for the
bleeding edge, here's your chance. We can even talk about delivery
within a 200-300 mile radius from Boston if you'll meet my asking
price.

The configuration, including the board designations noted on the card
cage access panel, is as follows:

    Silicon Graphics Iris 3130

    Qty. Desig.     Description
    3    IM1-4      4 Megabyte RAM board
    1    FP1        Weitek Floating Point Accelerator board
    1    IP2        16MHz 68020 CPU board
    1    ENET(201)  Ethernet board (EX driver, Thickwire connector)
    1    Storager   ESDI/QIC-02 disk/tape/floppy controller (SI driver)
    8    BP3        Bit Plane boards (video RAM)
    1    DC4
    1    UC4        Geometry Engine boardset (Rev. B?)
    1    GF2

    2    DK512-17   125 Meg (formatted) Hitachi full height 5.25" ESDI disk
    1               60 Meg QIC cartridge tape drive
    1    CM-2078    19" Hitachi Color Monitor (see note below)

        Folks out in netland have hung larger (~300 MB) disks off of
this controller with very minor hassle. The DK512 drives have been
reliable and should work fine in PCs or other systems.

        When switched on the monitor's power light does not
illuminate, and nothing registers on the screen. Probably very easily
fixed if you have someone who knows hi-res RGB monitors and power
supplies/transformers. Demo programs that claimed to require 24
bitplanes and Z-buffering ran fine when the monitor worked.

        Please feel free to contact me if you have any questions at
all about this system.

--Steve.
--
Steve Jones    MIT/VAX Resource Center, Cambridge MA  02139    617/253-7438
Internet addresses:  steve at isis.mit.edu  steve at yoyodyne.mit.edu
"Chaos will ensue if the variable i is altered..." - SysV Programmers Guide