Color Printers

Robert Olson raolson at cornflower.wpd.sgi.com
Fri Feb 1 05:47:41 AEST 1991

We have a Seiko 5504 in the System Software Division at SGI.  It mostly works fine, although it seems to take more care and feeding than I like.  We use it for making transparencies for presentations.  The biggest problem is that certain kinds of projectors melt the wax, which can have an unfortunate effect on your speech.  The meltdown takes 30 seconds or so to start, so what happens is you stand in front of your audience talking away, and suddenly notice that nobody seems to be paying attention any more.

  You turn to look at the screen and watch with them, in some dismay, until you snatch the slide off the projector.  I have learned to take several test slides with me to test the projector before I start my talk.