Color Printers

Mark Callow msc at ramoth.esd.sgi.com
Fri Feb 1 10:56:52 AEST 1991

In article <PORTUESI.91Jan31100445 at tweezers.esd.sgi.com>, portuesi at tweezers.esd.sgi.com (Michael Portuesi) writes:

|> >  Nevertheless, has anyone seen a color laser (like the new canon) in
|> > SGI action or seen a thermo-transfer-wax-unit that produced quality
|> > images over the long term ?
|>
|> We have one of the Canon color laser printers (the C500) here at SGI.
|> Currently, we can only print IRIS .rgb image format files on it, but
|> the quality of the printout is of very high quality.  In addition, you
|> can also use the printer as a high-resolution (up to 600 dpi) color
|> scanner.  It also does a fantastic job as a color photocopier.
|>
|> I suspect that the machine costs a small fortune.

We are also working with CAI to get a version of their Freedom of the Press
PostScript interpreter for the Canon CLC500.

As Michael says its quality is very high. One of the attractions is that
it prints on plain paper.  Michael is also right that it costs a small
fortune.  I believe the copier is in the $25000 range and the IEE 488
controller with 48 megs of memory is another $20k. Annual maintenance
is $10000

Because of the excellent quality and since I'm not paying for it, it's
easy for me to say "it's worth it."
--
>From the TARDIS of Mark Callow
msc at ramoth.sgi.com, ...{ames,decwrl}!sgi!msc
"Spirits of genius are always opposed by mediocre minds" - Albert Einstein