NCSA XImage questions

Dave Thompson davet at newton.ncsa.uiuc.edu
Tue Feb 5 07:56:36 AEST 1991

>I just got the latest version of the NCSA XImage binary off of
>ftp.ncsa.uiuc.edu.  It was apparently compiled under 3.3.1, so it
>should work with my system.
>I have two questions for anyone who uses this system:
>
>(1) The animate option always dumps core when I try to use a wildcard
>file specification.  Is there some way around this?

This was fixed in version 1.2.

>(2) The palette option allows me to fiddle with the RGB values of the
>X color table, but does not actually change the colors!  Is there some
>option that I need to employ on the X server to make the color table
>modifiable?

The default window manager used for GL windows and X windows is a non-ICCC
window manager.  ximage assumes as a default that your are using an
ICCC compliant wm.  If you are not you need to tell ximage.  In your
.Xdefaults placing a

ximage*installCMap:  True

will tell ximage to use the old method of installing color maps because
your window manager won't.

Dave Thompson

4035 Beckman, Drawer 25	      Internet: davet at ncsa.uiuc.edu
405 North Mathews Ave.        Usenet: {ihnp4,convex}!uiucdcs!zaphod!davet
Urbana, IL 61801              Bitnet: 14011 at ncsagate.bitnet
voice (217) 244-1957          CSNet: davet%zaphod at uiuc.csnet
fax   (217) 244-1987