I'd settle for an R4000...

Michael Yamasaki yamo at nas.nasa.gov
Fri Feb 8 09:31:13 AEST 1991

In article <28303.27a989ac at kuhub.cc.ukans.edu> 1k1mgm at kuhub.cc.ukans.edu (Christopher Gunn) writes:
>There have just been a couple plaintive yelps on this group about
>lack of SGI R6000 product.  [...]

Probably best to say SGI products with a MIPS R6000 (so I'm picky)...

>I need to think about some semi-serious SGI purchases in the
>3-8 mo. time-frame and would love to hear the latest gossip
>and speculation on SGI R6000 or (maybe better yet) R4000 products.
>Seems to me that a 4D/4x0 wouldn't take much re-engineering and
>could be around not too long after there are R4000 chips on the
>street.
>
>Christopher Gunn	Molecular Graphics and Modeling Lab
>SPAN--KUPHSX::GUNN	Department of Medicinal Chemistry, Malott Hall
>913-864-4428 or -4495	University of Kansas, Lawrence, KS  66045

Gossip and speculation: The R6000 from my understanding is ECL and
would require lots of various and sundrie glue to incoporate it in
SGI's line.  With strange costs and incompatabilities associated with
ECL, some folks think it's not the way to go even for the speed.
I'd be surprised if all that was in a 4D/4x0 line is a CPU upgrade.

                                     -Yamo-
                                yamo at nas.nasa.gov
                        (my once a year blather on the net)