adding scsi external scsi drives

Lisa Amedeo amedeo at DCDLAA.FNAL.GOV
Fri Feb 22 00:59:26 AEST 1991

    Robert Rothe writes:

   >hello,
   >how can i add an external SCSI drive to an Iris 4D ?
   >especially, i'd like to know how partionate the drive !
   >i couldn't find any tools like fdisk, mkpart or the like.

   There is a fairly good explanation on adding disk drives in the System
   Administration Guide.  But I assuming you would have looked there
   first if you had the man set, you either do not have the man set or
   you did not understand it.

   Scsi drives can be added to a 4D via the scsi port found on the back of the
   the system.  On a PI you need to remove the cover.  The command needed to
   partition the drive is fx.  Again the admin manual and guide (also online)
   explain this utility very well.  The SGI's have default partition tables
   for various scsi devices. These defaults are applied to any new device unless
   changed through the fx utility.

   Robert's last question involved scsi addressing.  The internal drive on
   a PI has an address of controller 0, address 1. SGI's like their system
   disks to be located at this address and will compalin alot if you try to
   install the system at any other address.  Here at FERMI we have several
   systems that have had their internal drive addresses changed to something
   other than 1 and have an external disk with an address of 1.  The external
   disks are bigger and can therefore hold all of the OS and software options
   that these systems require.  Please note that SGI considers this setup to
   be "unsupported" for two reasons.  The first is because we have puchased
   non-SGI scsi drives and the second is because we have loaded the OS onto
   the external drive.

                                            Lisa

*         *          *          *          *          *          *          *
 *       * *        * *        * *        * *        * *        * *        *

                                                     LISA AMEDEO
      /       /  ----   ----            FERMI NATIONAL ACCELERATOR LABORATORY
     /       /  /      /   /       =                 CD/DCD/DSG
    /       /   ----  /---/   ====== =  UNIX SYSTEM ADMINISTRATION CONSULTANT
   /_____  /   ____/ /   /         =            phone: (708) 840-8023
                                           e-mail: amedeo at dcdlaa.fnal.gov