Using BSD printing tools

Byron Rakitzis byron at archone.tamu.edu
Thu Jan 24 03:26:39 AEST 1991

I'm configuring the BSD printing programs (lpd, lpr, lpq, lprm, and
so on) on our sgi's to talk to a sun 4/150 driving a laserwriter.
Setting up the /etc/printcap file was without surprises, but when
I try to print a job, I get the following:

	lpr: connect: Connection refused
	jobs queued, but cannot start daemon.

Now, the sgi is in the sun's hosts.equiv, hosts.lpd, and just to be
safe (trying everything now) in /.rhosts. I can't get this to go
away. Does anyone know what the problem may be? /usr/bsd/lpr is
both setuid and setgid, but I don't know how it's trying to talk over
the network.

Any experience with the matter is greatly appreciated.

Byron.
--
Byron Rakitzis
byron at archone.tamu.edu