Using BSD printing tools

Glen Ecklund glen at meteor.wisc.edu
Wed Jan 30 09:02:54 AEST 1991

In article <11466 at helios.TAMU.EDU> byron at archone.tamu.edu (Byron Rakitzis) writes:
>I'm configuring the BSD printing programs (lpd, lpr, lpq, lprm, and
>so on) on our sgi's to talk to a sun 4/150 driving a laserwriter.
>Setting up the /etc/printcap file was without surprises, but when
>I try to print a job, I get the following:
>
>	lpr: connect: Connection refused
>	jobs queued, but cannot start daemon.
>
>Now, the sgi is in the sun's hosts.equiv, hosts.lpd, and just to be
>safe (trying everything now) in /.rhosts. I can't get this to go
>away. Does anyone know what the problem may be? /usr/bsd/lpr is
>both setuid and setgid, but I don't know how it's trying to talk over
>the network.
>
>Any experience with the matter is greatly appreciated.
>
>Byron.
>--
>Byron Rakitzis
>byron at archone.tamu.edu

We have the same problem.  Sometimes the connection is successful, however,
and the print jobs go through.  Since we have an old version of IRIX (3.2),
and no support, I have put the problem on hold until we get support
and an update.  I'm hoping the new version will fix it.
Frankly, I did a little investigation a few months ago, and I thought it
looked like an OS or library problem, but I don't remember what I
discovered.

Glen Ecklund