process living after logout

doelz at urz.unibas.ch doelz at urz.unibas.ch
Wed Jan 9 20:15:45 AEST 1991

In article <9101081201.aa05760 at VGR.BRL.MIL>, mcdonald at AEDC-VAX.AF.MIL (Kenneth McDonald C60244 x3413) writes:
> We have recently discovered that when a person logs out from our Iris running
> 3.3.1 at random times a process will still show up when we xeq  % ps -ef

I found this one occuring the first time on 3.0B on a 4D/70. It is still in
3.3.1, and is presumably a problem at the following cases(amongst others):
1) Kill NeWS and let windows stay alive with some process running in it.
2) do a SETHOST from a VAX, and then a telnet back to it, and kill the
   starting process on the VAX.
3) Use a serial line input from another computer (or, in our case, a LAT
   terminal server) and kill the starting process on your PC or LAT.

It is still not reproducable, and I usually kill it with KILL as well.

Regards
Reinhard