4D/35 vs. 4D/3xx

Michael Takayama tak at tcela.COM
Thu Jan 17 12:15:27 AEST 1991

Looking through the latest UNIX Review (Jan 91), I noted that the 4D/340VGX
is SPECmarked at 19.5 while the new 4D/35 is SPECmarked at 23 (pgs. 75 and
110, respectively).

OK, all you folks at SGI in ASD and ESD, given the price differential between
the 4D/35 and 4D/3xx workstations, what is the *REAL* difference in compute
performance (not graphics - it's pretty much a given that GTX and VGX
performance far exceed TG performance) between these systems (esp. 4D/35S
and 4D/310S)?

Michael Takayama                                     email:  tak at tce.com
Technical Support Manager
TDI America

"Well, which DOES weigh more - a pound of feathers or a pound of rocks?"
                          - pre-law student in 1st year physics class