input and 4.0

Mark Callow msc at ramoth.esd.sgi.com
Thu Jan 3 07:08:04 AEST 1991

In article <1990Dec22.205039.24380 at ux1.cso.uiuc.edu>, andreess at mrlaxs.mrl.uiuc.edu (Marc Andreessen) writes:
|> This is hooey.  X Windows and Motif are both very customizable on any
|> platform.  If you put the following 3 lines in your personal '.Xdefaults'
|> file, you get SGI-like behavior (pointer focus, interactive placement,
|> etc.) -

It's only hooey if you are an xhead or other form of technoweeb.
If we failed to pick our shipped defaults so as to make the 4.0 evironment
as much like what's gone before as possible, we would be doing a giant
disservice to the many users who are only interested in getting their
(non-computer-hacking) work done.
--
>From the TARDIS of Mark Callow
msc at ramoth.sgi.com, ...{ames,decwrl}!sgi!msc
"Spirits of genius are always opposed by mediocre minds" - Albert Einstein