Questions bru-ing in my mind

SYSTEM MANAGER system at LNS61.TN.CORNELL.EDU
Fri Jan 4 10:37:00 AEST 1991

Peter,

A minor correction to your posting about VMS Backup:

In a recent posting
 Date: 28 Dec 90 17:07:22 GMT,
 Subj:	Re: Questions bru-ing in my mind)
you stated

>When you do such a restore, you get all the files that were there as of
>the time of the last incremental, but you also get files -- a whole lot of
>files, in my experience -- that users had deleted since the 0-level dump
>was made.

This implies that either you neglected to specify /INCREMENTAL when you
restored the incremental tapes, or that the incremental Backup was done
incorrectly. VMS BACKUP normally records all of the directory
information (but not all of the files), and an incremental restore
will automatically remove the files which were deleted from disk
between the two Backups.

Just a quibble: I don't like seeing misinformation being spread.

Selden E. Ball, Jr.
(Wilson Lab's network and system manager)

Cornell University                 Voice: +1-607-255-0688
Laboratory of Nuclear Studies        FAX: +1-607-255-8062
Wilson Synchrotron Lab            BITNET: SYSTEM at CRNLNS
Judd Falls & Dryden Road        Internet: SYSTEM at LNS61.TN.CORNELL.EDU
Ithaca, NY, USA 14853-8001   HEPnet/SPAN: LNS61::SYSTEM = 44283::SYSTEM
P.S. another quibble: CUNIXF is not a registered Bitnet node.
s.