problems with NQS 'help' command ( and another NQS problem)

Jason Molenda molenda at s1.msi.umn.edu
Wed Jan 30 12:33:07 AEST 1991

sdempsey at UCSD.EDU (Steve Dempsey) writes:

>software:	NQS 1.0
>os version:	3.3.1
>model:		4D/340VGX

I had the same problem and called NQS -- they shipped me version 1.0.1
which, according to the release notes, basically just fixed that file.

I'm also having a problem where normal users can't submit jobs.  It
claims it can't create the control file.  I grabbed the original source
for NQS by ftp and as near as I can figure, the qsub program is dying
on the open of the control file in /usr/spool/nqs/private/root/control
(in lib/mkreq.c).  It tells the user "Unable create control file." and
tells them to talk to the system support personnel (me).

The permissions on qsub are all set correctly.  Even if I go around turning
the permissions on the subdirectories to 777 it still fails.  It's really
starting to piss us off.  Does ANYONE out there have NQS running correctly?
We haven't done anything special here; it came broken like this.

Any replies (whether you know what is going on or whether you just have it
working on your system) would be greatly appreciated.

--
More information that you couldn't have existed another day without, from:
Jason Molenda, Tech Support, Iris & News Admin, Minnesota Supercomputer Inst
molenda at s1.msi.umn.edu || molenda%msi.umn.edu at umnacvx.bitnet
"And remember: Evil will always prevail, because Good is dumb." -- Spaceballs