Uses for an SGI Machine

Michael Takayama tak at tcela.COM
Wed Jan 16 15:12:17 AEST 1991

shore at cup.portal.com (Ville Valter Walveranta) writes:

(stuff deleted)

>for creating superb animations - mostly for commercial use. During the
>six-months-long comparsion I ended up with SGI and Alias Animator.  In about
 ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

(stuff deleted)

>After the comparsion the choice of the sofware was - as apparent as SGI
>was THE brand for the workstations - Alias Animator 3 (Design Studio).

(stuff deleted)

>for the people who haven't ever before used a computer. The competitors
>on the field of animations are Wavefront Visualizer and TDI Explorer.
>However, the first one is maybe more aimed towards the technical design
>(robotics, etc.) while the latter one has an interface that is
>considerably more complicated to learn than the one of Alias'.
 ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Just wanted to correct some errors in your review of 3D animation software on
the SGI workstations:

First, Wavefront software is not *aimed* towards technical design.  It does
lend itself to be easily integrated into other software packages to produce
high-quality rendering from simulation code (like Deneb Robotics' robotic
software), but it has also been successfully used by many animation and
special effects houses including Disney Studios for work on major motion
pictures.  I would hazard a guess that a significant percentage of the computer
graphics animation which has been seen in the U.S. on television and in
motion pictures has been done with Wavefront software.

Second, TDI (Thomson Digital Image) software is called Explore, not Explorer.
The interface is definitely NOT "considerably more complicated to learn" than
the Alias interface.  Pop-up menus (used in the TDI interface) and pull-up
menus (used in the Alias interface) are both pretty easy to use!
TDI Explore *does* use the dial box in addition to the keyboard and mouse
to provide the user with better and faster control, but it could only be
interpreted as "considerably more complicated" if you have serious hand-eye
motor control problems which prevent you from working with both hands at
the same time (or sequentially, if you prefer).

Based on your comments, I seriously doubt that your "six-months-long"
evaluation included actual in-house, hands-on evaluations of the above-
mentioned packages.  I also suspect that you had very limited contact with
representatives from Wavefront Technologies and TDI America prior to your
decision.  Most of your comments appear to be based on stuff you heard from
the pro-Alias contigent.  Most of it is either half-truths, or totally false.
The pro-Wavefront and pro-TDI contigents also throw a lot of flak out there;
it's all part of the sales (and, if you ask me, *confuse the consumer*) game!
Sorry, sounds like you fell into the trap...

And, for all of you looking for commercial 3D animation software:

I recommend that you ALWAYS get a hands-on evaluation of software (esp.
expensive software) before you purchase it to make sure it will do what you
need and that it IS as easy to use as the *EXPERT* demonstrator makes it look.
Spend a few bucks if you have to for the training - it's cheap compared to
the price of buying the WRONG software and hardware!  If they won't give
you a hands-on evaluation, then there must be something wrong with the
product, or the confidence of the sales person whom you are being asked to
trust!  Be tough - these companies want your business!!

And, finally, those of us in post-sales support would rather you asked
lots of questions BEFORE buying the software and finding out that
it won't render in HDTV resolution with ray-tracing and radiosity in real-time.
Don't believe what you hear - ask to see it done:  my favorite type of
customer - a smart one!

Michael Takayama                                          email:  tak at tce.com
Technical Support Manager
TDI America

"I'll stand on my head to make you a deal"     - Used car salesman
"It's easier for him to talk out of his ___ that way"     - Obscure cynic