REFRESH

Dave Olson olson at anchor.esd.sgi.com
Thu Jun 13 09:42:54 AEST 1991

In <1991Jun12.121317.805 at eagle.lerc.nasa.gov> fsset at bach.lerc.nasa.gov (Scott E. Townsend) writes:

| In article <1991Jun11.084535.137 at falcon.aamrl.wpafb.af.mil> mfaust at falcon.aamrl.wpafb.af.mil (Mitchell Faust) writes:

| >  Irix 4.0 is now compliant with Posix, X/Opens XPG3 (Volumes 1, 2
| >  and 3), FIPS 151-1, MIT's X11, Release 4, and Motif 1.1, and is
| >  consistent with the ACE (Advanced Computing Environment) Initiative's
| >  API.
|
| My (limited) understanding of ACE is that it is little-endian.  Is IRIX 4.0
| going to be little-endian only, or will there be a way to switch based on
| the file's magic number?
|
| I can see a wonderful time ahead fixing (recompiling) libraries & executables.

IRIX 4.0 is still completely big-endian.  I'm not sure where that
piece of the announcement came from, but my guess is some editting
mistake, confusing plans for the future with IRIX 4.0.

The ACE API hasn't even been completely defined, so being "consistent"
with it would be quite a trick...

There were no (or perhaps a very few) changes in IRIX 4.0 related
to the ACE announcement, to the best of my knowledge.
--

	Dave Olson