REFRESH

Scott E. Townsend fsset at bach.lerc.nasa.gov
Wed Jun 12 22:13:17 AEST 1991

In article <1991Jun11.084535.137 at falcon.aamrl.wpafb.af.mil> mfaust at falcon.aamrl.wpafb.af.mil (Mitchell Faust) writes:

>  Did anyone else read this in June 3rd's INFOWORLD page 29?
>
>  QUOTE:
>
>                   IRIX 4.0 Combines Iris Graphics Library
>
>  Silicon Graphics Inc. last week announced Irix 4.0, a new version
>  of its symmetrical multiprocessing operating system.
>
>  The new version integrates the X Window System with SGI's Iris
>  Graphics Library, providing the first real-time 3-D X Window
>  environment.
>
>  Irix 4.0 is now compliant with Posix, X/Opens XPG3 (Volumes 1, 2
>  and 3), FIPS 151-1, MIT's X11, Release 4, and Motif 1.1, and is
>  consistent with the ACE (Advanced Computing Environment) Initiative's
>  API.

My (limited) understanding of ACE is that it is little-endian.  Is IRIX 4.0
going to be little-endian only, or will there be a way to switch based on
the file's magic number?

I can see a wonderful time ahead fixing (recompiling) libraries & executables.

>  Irix 4.0 will be distributed free on CD ROM in the third quarter,
>  or with a $200 media charge on quarter-inch tape.
>
>  UNQUOTE
>
>  Any comments??
>
>  Mitchell Faust
>  mfaust at falcon.aamrl.wpafb.af.mil
>  MTL Systems Inc
>
>  The view expressed are my own and do not represent the Air Force, its
>  staff, management, or sponsers.

Scott Townsend               |   Mail Stop: 5-11
NASA Lewis Research Center   |   Email: fsset at bach.lerc.nasa.gov
Cleveland, Ohio  44135       |