90 degree Enet cables (Was Re: SUMMARY: Second Etherboard in PI)

Kevin Tureski ktureski at alias.com
Thu Jun 13 11:04:54 AEST 1991

In article <1991Jun10.192757.13212 at odin.corp.sgi.com>, jweldon at sgi.com (Jack P. Weldon) writes:
> In article <9106082201.AA10957 at nazgul.physics.mcgill.ca> loki at NAZGUL.PHYSICS.MCGILL.CA (Loki Jorgenson) writes:
|
| [discussion about second ethernet board in a PI]
|
| 	The physical design of the board is lacking.  The surface of the
| board, as it rises above the connector backplane, extends 1.5" closer to
| the back of the cabinet than normal.  Consequently, once the standard SGI Ether
| cable is installed, you don't have a hope in hell of closing the box
| again. .

> I also have to agree with Dave Olson about the ENP-10 board in a PI.
> I've never (yet) seen it stick out further than any other VME board.

Loki originally stated that he was adding this board into a 4D/25 -- from
the description it sure sounds an awful lot like the board changes that
happened with the 35; because of the increased width of the memory simm
slots, the VME cage was moved back towards the rear of the cabinet by an
amount that I can't recall offhand (half an inch to an inch, I think; 1.5
sounds excessive).

Anyway, the net result was that it became physically impossible to put the
side panel back on with the VideoFramer board with cables installed; the
diagonal supporting ribs jammed up against the cables/connectors. Removing
a few of these ribs from the side panel provides the clearance required.

I wouldn't suggest running out and snapping these off yourself though; SGI
was investigating the manufacture of a side panel minus a few or all of these
ribs. Oh, I also wouldn't suggest running your PI without the side panel; I
was told that if it overheated as a result, the warranty would be void.

--

Kevin Tureski
Director, Systems Integration

ktureski at alias.com