Tek pahser PX

David R. Blythe blythe at sgi.com
Wed Jun 5 07:00:57 AEST 1991

>In article <9106012100.AA28850 at masig4.ocean.fsu.edu> davis at MASIG4.OCEAN.FSU.EDU (Alan Davis) writes:
>
>  I am trying to use a Tektronix Phaser PX on a PI 4D/35 3.3.2 without much
>luck.  I have been using both tocolps and tops to make color PostScript which
>I am sending to the printer.  The quality of the print is extremely poor, the
>image comes out with a very mottled appearence, like something happened
>during the dithering, ie the whole image is speckled with white dots.  I assume

tocolps should be adequate for the job since it does nothing more than
copy the bits to the file for imaging by the printer.  It does, however,
set the screendensity and screenangle for each of the magenta, cyan, yellow
and black primaries.  These are undoubtably causing your problems.  That
and possibly your expectations may be too high.  You might try deleting
the manipulations of the angles and densities from the PostScript file
since these are often better left as the manufacturers defaults unless
you know what you are doing.  Otherwise, the printer documentation may
give you some clue to alternate values to try.  I couldn't begin to guess
myself :-(.

	david blythe
	blythe at sgi.com