putting a bit of life into those dreary dogfights

D. Christopher Dunlap dunlap at sgi.com
Tue Jun 18 10:56:25 AEST 1991

In article <SLEHAR.91Jun17115017 at park.bu.edu> slehar at park.bu.edu (Steve Lehar) writes:

>The essence  of a  good game is  to play against other  people.    The
>anguished response when you beat them  soundly is such  sweet pleasure
>that  no    machine  can match.    Unfortunately,  our  machine  is  a
>standalone, so  we cannot  do the  regular dogfights  (much as I would
>love to!)
>
>We have devised some competitive games nevertheless that will keep you
>amused for a while anyhow.
>
>SHORT LANDING
>
>QUICK TURNAROUND
>
>FORCED LANDING
>
>TURKEY SHOOT

You forgot "Dipping your head in the conctrete":

Approach the runway inverted and at speed (we usually insist on at
LEAST 500 knots)

While you are over the runway, try to dip your head under the
concrete.

You may crash. Or you may not get your head under the pavement...

But if your successful, 2 things can happen:

	You'll see a strange diplay effect.

	or

	You'll see the strange effect AND you'll get a "landing report
	card" telling you all your stats.

There are lot's of variations on winning this (assuming you can find
anyone who's good enough to pull it off with any consistency at all).

	# of successful "dips". (maybe "success" == "Report Card")

	Amount of time spent "head down".

	Variations of "good stats" on the report card.

The first email I get that accurately  and completely answers the
following question will get an SGI T-Shirt...

	"Why can you dip your head under the concrete without
	crashing"

SGI employees and former SGI employees are not eligible for this
contest. Looking at source is considered cheating. (and shouldn't be
necessary anyway)

:-}

chris

--
D. Christopher Dunlap  		Product Support Engineering
				Customer Support Division