Name Server problem

Bill Silvert silvert at cs.dal.ca
Thu Jun 20 01:09:28 AEST 1991

In article <9106191246.AA29392 at ccfiris.aedc> mcdonald at AEDC-VAX.AF.MIL writes:
>>> you can put the PI's name in /etc/sys_id as PIname.domain.name.
>>>This should solve your problem.
>>
>>I've tried both.  The solution doesn't work.
>
>You can do this by having the name in /etc/sys_id & then doing 1 of the
>following:
>   - reboot for this name to take effect.
>   - use the hostname command to set you hostname:
>       % hostname name.domain.name
>     (if you use this second method you may have to reload named ?)
>This method works fine for us.

Thanks.  Several people suggested modifying /etc/sys_id, but I hadn't
realized that it didn't have any immediate effect.  So I used the
hostname method (a bit less drastic than rebooting!) and all is OK.
I can also use the System Manager again for networking.

Goes to show that when advising novices you may have to include the
stupid little bits that "everybody knows"!
--
William Silvert, Habitat Ecology Division, Bedford Inst. of Oceanography
P. O. Box 1006, Dartmouth, Nova Scotia, CANADA B2Y 4A2.  Tel. (902)426-1577
BITNET=silvert%biome%dalcs at dalac	InterNet=silvert%biome at cs.dal.ca