Name Server problem

mcdonald at AEDC-VAX.AF.MIL mcdonald at AEDC-VAX.AF.MIL
Wed Jun 19 22:46:40 AEST 1991

>In article <9106181325.AA23813 at ccfiris.aedc> mcdonald at AEDC-VAX.AF.MIL writes:
>>Since you can't just type in ben or jerry from the PI, this means that your
>>machine has no domain associated with it.
>>You can create a /usr/etc/resolv.conf
>>file or you can put the PI's name in /etc/sys_id as PIname.domain.name.
>>This should solve your problem.
>
>I've tried both.  The second solution doesn't work.  The first does, but
>unfortunately it means that I can no longer use the System Manager to
>manage the network, since it refuses to run if resolv.conf exists.
>Pity, since it is a handy tool for a novice like myself.
>--

I have my 4D240 configured as the master nameserver & I have no resolv.conf
file present.  I can also just type in the name of any host that has my
same domain name.  The reason why:
   - Your hostname can be set to a fully-qualified domain name and the
   - resolver software will derive it from there; each hostname will be
   - checked with your domain tacked on the end of it first, then if not
   - yet resolved will take the domain off and try to resolve it.

You can do this by having the name in /etc/sys_id & then doing 1 of the
following:
   - reboot for this name to take effect.
   - use the hostname command to set you hostname:
       % hostname name.domain.name
     (if you use this second method you may have to reload named ?)
This method works fine for us.

  vvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvv
  | Kenneth M. McDonald * OAO Corp * Arnold Engineering Development Center |
  |          MS 120 * Arnold AFS, TN 37389-9998 * (615) 454-3413           |
  INTERNET:
  mcdonald at aedc-vax.af.mil

  LOCAL:
  c60244 at ccfiris