Adding users under Sys. Manager

Roger Nelson - Grad Student rnelson at yoda.eecs.wsu.edu
Wed Jun 12 14:31:32 AEST 1991

We have always had problems adding users under the System Manager.
It always provides a user ID number that already belongs to someone
else.  If the number isn't checked, the existing user's files all
become owned by the new user.  Is this a bug, or do we have something
set-up incorrectly?

We have had this same problem under 3.2, 3.3.0, 3.3.1, and 3.3.2.
The fellow on our other machine added a new user without checking
and it changed ownership of almost all the files on the second disk
(It was our IDEAS account that was changed)  Needless to say, it
is taking us hours to fix.