Adding users under Sys. Manager

Tony Facca fsfacca at AVELON.LERC.NASA.GOV
Thu Jun 13 00:15:08 AEST 1991

> We have always had problems adding users under the System Manager.
> It always provides a user ID number that already belongs to someone
> else.  If the number isn't checked, the existing user's files all
> become owned by the new user.  Is this a bug, or do we have something
> set-up incorrectly?

It's more of an annoyance than a bug.

If you ask for detailed information when adding a user, then you can supply
your own ID.  The SM has no way of determining what your scheme for assigning
userids is.  I haven't seen it assign the same ID as another user on the
system, though.  I know it will check to see if an ID you assign already
exists for a different user.

Other annoyances:

	- no support for group ID's
	- no way to set the default home directory once and for all
	- no way to add other startup dot files to the new directory
	- no way to customize the procedure to take advantage of local
	  conventions (source code would be nice, hooks to local scripts
	  would suffice)
	- because of all the other annoyances, the add user part of the
	  tool is pretty much useless.

Tony Facca   |   fsfacca at avelon.lerc.nasa.gov      |     phone: 216-433-8318