itty bitty IRIX questions

Mike Gigante mg at godzilla.cgl.rmit.oz.au
Sun Jun 2 15:56:57 AEST 1991

rpaul at crow.UUCP (Rodian Paul) writes:

]Randy Carpenter asked:

]] |   2.) Why does ps(1) take so long every once in a while but then
]] |       has good response at other times.

]Dave Olson answered:

]] If you change /unix, or remove /tmp/.ps_data, the file gets re-created,
]] which takes a while.  After that ps runs faster.  Basicly it saves ps
]] having to grub through the kernel symbol table on each invocation.
]]

]Myself and others here have also noticed this problem. We don't dick
]with the kernels that often and to my knowledge nobody deliberatly
]trashes /tmp/.ps_data. I'm afraid I don't think that the above
]answer quite explains why the response is often so slow. The odd
]thing is that the response problem doesn't seem tied to the load-average
]on the machine.

The way I have figured it is that the first time each day it is really slow
while the other times ity is fast. It may be either date/time based as I
speculate, or it may ignore /tmp/ps_data if it is older than X (for some X)