itty bitty IRIX questions

Rodian Paul rpaul at crow.UUCP
Sun Jun 2 13:22:25 AEST 1991

Randy Carpenter asked:

> |   2.) Why does ps(1) take so long every once in a while but then
> |       has good response at other times.

Dave Olson answered:

> If you change /unix, or remove /tmp/.ps_data, the file gets re-created,
> which takes a while.  After that ps runs faster.  Basicly it saves ps
> having to grub through the kernel symbol table on each invocation.

Myself and others here have also noticed this problem. We don't dick
with the kernels that often and to my knowledge nobody deliberatly
trashes /tmp/.ps_data. I'm afraid I don't think that the above
answer quite explains why the response is often so slow. The odd
thing is that the response problem doesn't seem tied to the load-average
on the machine.

The machines we've noted this on: 4D/70GT's, 4D/210's, 4D/240GTX's, 4D/25's,
4D/35's and a 4D/380S.

OS: IRIX 3.3.1 and 3.3.2

> |   3.) Why doesn't ex(1) and vi(1) look at the TMPDIR environment
> |       variable like ed(1) to allocate buffers?  The default root
> |       partition on SGI systems doesn't leave enough space in /tmp
> |       to edit huge files.  I don't want to have to worry about
> |       every user having to "set directory=/usr/tmp" in their .exrc
> |       files and I don't want to expand the root partition.

Now for a naive question. I collect a lot of stuff from the net and the
folders that I save via 'rn' often become quite large. At a later date,
when I try to run:

	% Mail -f ~/News/Comp.foo

on a large file, I get the following response:

	/tmp: No such file or directory

I then have to switch to a machine with a larger root partition. I find
that nowadays I am slicing my news folders and giving them a .n suffix.
Is there a way to specify which directory /usr/sbin/Mail uses for a
temporary dir? Yep. I'm allready specifying TMPDIR in my env.

Cheers.