Unknown FORTRAN 77 Compiler Message

David R. Blythe blythe at sgi.com
Tue Jun 4 08:50:23 AEST 1991

In article <9106031241.aa18600 at VGR.BRL.MIL> cmellor at RELAY.NSWC.NAVY.MIL writes:
>Thought before I call up the SGI Hotline and bother them with what is
>probably a rather obvious question, I would throw it out to anyone on
>the network who might have an answer:
>
>I am in the process of trying to compile several FORTRAN 77 source files
>using a makefile containing the following f77 options:
>
>-align16 -L/usr/lib/align -1 -nocpp -static -col72 -w0 -noextend_source
>
>The first two .f files compile with no problem, but when I get to the
>third, I get the following compiler error message:
>
>ugen: internal: error in write, writing 1840 bytes instead of 8192 bytes
>*** Error code 1

(This is a good candidate for the FAQ list if its underway).  The somewhat
obscure error message means that there wasn't sufficient space (in /tmp)
to complete that particular I/O operation.  In otherwords, /tmp isn't
big enough.  You can get around this by any of:

	1.  make /tmp bigger
	2.  set the environment variable TMPDIR to a directory in
	    a file system with more space (e.g. /usr/tmp)
	3.  break your fortran source code into smaller pieces
	4.  <your favourite mechanism here>

Option number 2 is probably the easiest.

	david blythe
	blythe at sgi.com