xdm

benno blumenthal benno at lamont.ldgo.columbia.edu
Fri Mar 22 03:55:53 AEST 1991

We are running IRIX 3.3, and xdm doesn't seem to support XDMCP (it is
awfully hard to tell why a program does not respond to a port it is
supposed to be listening too, so I cannot be too sure about what exactly
is going on).  Back in Dec90, I called the hotline, and they cheerfully
told me that it doesn't work.  They also said that they were not too
sure whether it would ever be fixed, since XDMCP only exists to talk
to X-terminals and SGI does not make them.

This was not the answer I wanted.  My question is this: has SGI fixed
this bug in 4.0?  Are you ever going to fix it?  Is there some alternative
to xdm which makes fixing xdm pointless?

I think it should be pretty clear that supporting x-terminals is in SGI's
interest -- X-terminals are useless in a vacuum, and they tend to make
people buy bigger and better machines so they can hook up lots of x-terminals
to them.

Benno Blumenthal  Lamont-Doherty Geological Observatory of Columbia University
                  Palisades NY 10964     (914) 359-2900 x350

internet:  benno at lamont.ldgo.columbia.edu
	or benno at rainbow.ldgo.columbia.edu
bitnet:    benno%lamont.ldgo at columbia.edu