Parallel Printer on PI 4D/20

Dave Olson olson at anchor.esd.sgi.com
Mon Mar 25 06:50:25 AEST 1991

In <9103231212.aa05666 at neuron.umdnj.edu> geller at NEURON.UMDNJ.EDU ("Herbert M. Geller") writes:

| I have just connected an Epson printer, which has worked very
| well attached to PC's, to my PI.  I enabled the printer as a
| generic printer connected to the parallel port.  When I issue
| an lp request, the printer never returns to the left margin,
| but ends up printing at the right of the platen (since I am
| using 8.5" paper).  Can anyone recommend a solution, since
| the manuals seem to be devoid of information on parallel printers.

You need to either change the settings on the printer to do a CR
everytime a LF is seen, or customize the interface script to
append a CR every time a LF is seen.

This assumes you are doing normal text output; if it is graphics
of some kind, you probably need a more complicated filter program.
--

	Dave Olson