/debug again

eugholz at ATHENA.MIT.EDU eugholz at ATHENA.MIT.EDU
Fri Mar 22 11:37:33 AEST 1991

Thanks to everyone who answered my basically trivial question about
/debug.  I guess the only real question with respect to that is why
the service guy didn't know anything about the debug sile system.

In any event, all of my curiosity has yet to be solved.  The man page
on debug indicates (as several people pointed out) that /debug
actually uses no disk space.  The question then is, why does the
message

   "d6s7: Out of Space"

appear in my SYSLOG whenever two or more memory-intensive processes
are run at once.  I assume that disk space IS actually being used for
swapping, and perhaps I am out of swap space.  If that's the case, I'd
like to know how to have more swap space.  On the other hand, the SGI
technician did indicate that I had plenty of swap space allocated.
Furthermore, I think that d6s7 probably isn't a reference to swap
space at all -- I suspect that it's an extra disk I have which is
mounted as the file system /disk6.  That guess is based on some other
lines in SYSLOG which refer to "dks0d6s7 (/disk6):".  Doing a df,
however, shows /disk6 with only about 85% usage.  Furthermore,
although the processes running are outputting to directories in the
/disk6 file system, they are NOT outputting big files.  They mostly do
computations and output fairly simple answers.  Any clues?

Thanks in advance, (and I'm sorry if I'm missing something simplee
here)

Eugene Gholz
(eugholz at athena.mit.edu)