how good is gcc/g++ on irises

Michael Gleicher gleicher at CS.CMU.EDU
Fri Mar 22 13:16:11 AEST 1991

Before I go through the effort of getting and installing gcc and g++ for my
irises, I was wondering:

how well does gcc/g++ perform compared to the SGI/MIPS compiler and CFRONT?

	how does the generated code compare?
	how do the compile times compare?
	how do the link times compare?

I find that g++ on a Sun3 can compile and link program many times faster than
a Personal Iris, even though the iris is a much faster machine (my program
runs many times faster on the Iris). The compile and (especially) link times
are excessive on the Iris with CFront 2.0.

Am I still correct in assuming that C++ source level debugging (eg: gdb) is
just a dream on an Iris?

Thanks for the help,

	Mike