Text input to xfig - what am I doing wrong?

Dan Johnston JOHNSTON at NRCMTC.NRC.CA
Sat Mar 23 01:43:00 AEST 1991

Hi all!

First the background:
 I am a novice unix and SGI user.  I have a 4D/25 with
IRIX 3.3.1, and software dev. options. I am trying to
use the SG machine for machine control/software
developement.  I am also responsible for maintaining
the three new SGIs in our section.

 I want to use xfig to help document the connections
and options on our systems. First I open a shell window
and type "xfig".  I get a blank outline of the xfig
drawing window with little triangular arrows that
follow the cursor but smear the window (ie old position
does not erase).  Then I tried to first start up an X
window manager, such as uwm or twm.  With the window
manager up, then the xfig window window looks fine, I
can draw all the boxes and arcs I like.

BUT. If I select the TEXT option, click the pointer in
the window to select where I want the text to appear,
then xfig will quit with an "Alarm clock" message.

Have I missed something simple?  Is there a bug in
xfig?  Any comments or suggestions?

Thanks to all in advance.

Daniel (Dan) F. Johnston         JOHNSTON at NRCMTC.NRC.CA
National Research Council of Canada Tel: (613) 993-6627
Montreal Road Campus, Bldg. M-3     Fax: (613) 998-2771
Ottawa, Ont. CANADA K1A 0R6