BSD print spooler problems

mberger at RELAY.NSWC.NAVY.MIL mberger at RELAY.NSWC.NAVY.MIL
Sat Mar 23 00:28:09 AEST 1991

I am trying to setup an SGI 4D20 (3.3.1) to print on a postscript
printer (on a SUN) over our network.  I want to use the bsd print spooler.

I put the following entry in /etc/printcap:

#postscript printer
ps2|ps|PostScript:\
     :lp=:rm=hostname:rp=ps2:sd=/usr/spool/ps2:\
     :lf=/usr/spool/ps2/ps2-log:

Now, when I try to print a postscript file using:
     lpr -Pps2 file
I get the message:
     lpr: socket: Protocol not supported
     jobs queued, but cannot start daemon.

lpc status reports:
     ps2
          queuing is enabled
          printing is enabled
          1 entry in spool area
          no daemon present

The SYSLOG reports:
     mountd: svcudp_create - cannot getsockname: Bad file number
     mountd: couldn't create SGI's mount UDP transport
     mountd: svdtcp_create - cannot getsockname or listen: Socket
                                 operation on non-socket
     mountd: couldn't create SGI's mount TCP transport

Any ideas?  My machine name is in the SUN's host.equiv and host.lpd.

What I'm ultimately trying to do is print files from the
showcase software package.

--Mike