SGI data visualization program. What is the current status ??

Ian Hoyle ianh at bhpmrl.oz.au
Thu Mar 14 13:09:16 AEST 1991

Back at Siggraph '91 I noticed with some interest that SG was recruiting
for a team to work on a new scientific visualization software suite headed up
by Craig Upson of AVS fame from Stardent.

[ I hope this isn't too far wrong, since it was a pretty tough week socially
and my memory may be subsequently a bit askew with the exact details here :-) ]

Does anyone (perhaps even from Mountain View) have any light to shed on the
current status of this project??

I've been looking closely in recent months at apE (from Ohio Supercomputer
Centre) and Wavefront's Data Visualizer but both seem to be at an early stage
of development in terms of functionality and stability. I even had a good look
at AVS on a loaner Decstation 5100 and it looks pretty damn good, but that's
*not* what I want since AVS doen't ship on SG machines and that is all
I have - a room full of SG boxes :-)

Any info on this would be more than welcome.

	ian
--
                Ian Hoyle
     /\/\       Image Processing & Data Analysis Group
                E-mail  :  ianh at bhpmrl.oz.au