Success compiling Perl 4.000 on Irix 3.3.

Mark V. Meuer meuer at umn-cs.cs.umn.edu
Sat Mar 30 04:34:23 AEST 1991

I've finally gotten Perl 4.000 to compile and pass tests on our
Silicon Graphics Iris running version 3.3 of the operating system.

Thanks to all the people who sent me changes they had to make to
earlier versions of Perl to get it to work on SGI machines.  Thanks
should go especially to Patrick Wolfe: His suggestion that I undefine
vfork allowed me to break through the major sticking point.

Here is the procedure:
	1. Run the normal Configure program.  Be sure to turn off
	   optimizing ("-O0") and use *perl's* malloc.  Other than
	   that, the default answers seem correct.

	2. Edit config.sh.  Define d_voidsig and undefine d_vfork.

	3. There is a strange bug related to the standard include file
	   "sys/file.h" on the Iri.  That file defines a macro called
	   "f_next" which is also the name of a field in one of Perl's
	   structures.  This is bad.

	   The way around it is to add the following to EVERY file
	   that includes sys/file.h.  (Add it right after the #include
	   <sys/file.h> statement):

		#include <sys/file.h>

		/* This is a hack to get this to compile on the Iris.
		You see, the sys/file.h file on the Iri define f_next
		to be a macro.  This causes problems. */

		#ifdef	f_next
		#undef	f_next
		#endif	/* f_next */

	   There might very well be a more appropriate place to put
	   this fix, but this will do the job.

These changes should make it compile and run the tests successfully.

-mark
Mark Meuer |  The Geometry Center  |  meuer at geom.umn.edu
Observing the first baloon ascent in Paris, [Ben] Franklin heard a scoffer
ask, "What good is it?"  He spoke for a generation of scientists in
his retort, "What good is a newly born infant?"  -- John F. Kasson