Help with GNU Emacs

David Boles dboles at ccwf.cc.utexas.edu
Fri Mar 8 15:44:23 AEST 1991

We just got a 310VGX machine in and I have been made keeper/sysadm
or some such thing.  I have little in the way of UNIX experience
but am learning rapidly.  I have, however, run into a snag.

I downloaded the source of GNU emacs and built it.  After I installed
it in /usr/bin (with it knowing where all of it's own directories
are), I discovered that although it would run "properly", it did
not recognize the arrow keys.  Further, in doing the build, one
modifies the /src/config.h file.  In it, it describes defining things
(or, more specifically, uncommenting them) if you are going to use
X.  I did not perform the build in this manner, i.e. for X.
What is the relation between X and 4sight?  Did I make the right guess
with regard to the build?  How can I get the thing to recognize
the arrow keys (and hopefully the alt-key as a meta-key)?

Any help would be much appreciated!

Thanks
David Boles
unix novice