noisy personal iris sound from /dev/audio

Mark Callow msc at ramoth.esd.sgi.com
Tue Mar 12 05:19:17 AEST 1991

In article <1991Mar10.235452.13067 at agate.berkeley.edu>, seth at miro.Berkeley.EDU (Seth Teller) writes:
|> i've been fooling with /dev/audio for the first time and there
|> seems to be an awful lot of noise coming from the 'out' port.
|> i've got a six-foot patch cord leading from that to an active
|> (i.e., amplified) speaker, and a continuous low-frequency
|> rumbling comes from the speaker.

This is typical of PI audio. It is not of very high quality.

If you have a serious interest in audio I recommend you get a 4D/35 upgrade.
The 4D/35 audio is completely new and is of high quality (AES/EBU digital
input/output, 16 bit A/D for analog input, >18-bit 8X oversampling D/A for
analog output etc.) We hired an Audio Engineer this time.

Please note that initial shipments of the 4D/35 will not have the audio
board due to various in-house delays. An audio kit will follow later.

--
Captain Multi-Media (aka Mark Callow)
msc at ramoth.sgi.com, ...{ames,decwrl}!sgi!msc