noisy personal iris sound from /dev/audio

Jack Jansen jack at cwi.nl
Wed Mar 13 20:28:40 AEST 1991

Both sound input and output are noisy on the 4D25. I get an average
of 2 bits of noise when recording with a mike that is switched off,
and an audible hiss out of the speaker even when the output gain is set
to zero (it is worse with non-zero gain, obviously).

Everything the machine does effects the noise (moving the mouse,
computations, network traffic), so I assume that it is not a question
of improper shielding, but more one of coupling through the power
supply.

I guess they should market it as 'a 6 bit audio interface' in stead
of an 8 bit one. I'll just wait for my 4D35 to arrive before doing
any real audio work. The quality is good enough for my audio-biff, though.
Een volk dat voor tirannen zwicht	| Oral:     Jack Jansen
zal meer dan lijf en goed verliezen	| Internet: jack at cwi.nl
dan dooft het licht			| Uucp:     hp4nl!cwi.nl!jack