Problem with 4D-25S ?

michael sweet sweetmr at SCT60A.SUNYCT.EDU
Wed Mar 27 04:03:40 AEST 1991

> We have an IRIS 4D-25S set up as a fileserver (running 3.3.1).  We have an
> intermittent problem reading tar files from cartridge tapes: the message
> "WARNING: dma_map: address C055FFFF not word aligned" will display over

We had the same problem on our 4D/20 when we first added another SCSI disk.
Turned out that the SCSI cable we bought was a Mac SCSI cable; these cables
only carry enough of the standard SCSI signals as are necessary for the Mac
SCSI port (not that much!), and don't work with true SCSI ports...  Another
possibility is that the terminating resistor packs on your '25 are bad.  Why
a SCSI bus problem causes the DMA error is beyond me! (or maybe the error
isn't accurate!)

 -Mike